One of the first things anyone will notice about you is your teeth. Whether you are talking, laughing, or smiling, your teeth are a focal point of your face. However, our teeth naturally become more yellow and stained over time, leading to a lackluster smile even with proper brushing and care. This has lead many people to seek out teeth whitening treatments. While there are many over-the-counter whitening options, here are three reasons to consider having a professional whiten your teeth, as well as the risks and rewards of teeth whitening services.
Why Hire a Professional?
- More Powerful Whitening – One of the biggest benefits of having a professional treatment is getting a more thorough whitening. Over-the-counter whitening products are not as powerful as professional treatments, and the results can be uneven due to differences in the levels of staining across your teeth. Professionals can adjust the concentration of the whitening agent, compensating for differences in discoloration and providing a consistent color across your teeth. Over-the-counter whitening products can only address very light stains, whereas a professional treatment can address moderate to severe staining or discoloration.
- Safer and More Comfortable Treatment – Beyond only being effective for light staining, over-the-counter whiteners can damage your gums. A professional will ensure that your gums and other parts of your mouth are covered during the treatment in order to prevent any unnecessary discomfort or damage. A major concern for applying a teeth whitening treatment at home is that if you apply the agent to a tooth that is experiencing decay, it can cause severe damage to the tooth and possibly even nerve damage. Having a professional check your dental health before whitening can minimize this risk. Additionally, the dental staff can provide tips for minimizing tooth sensitivity after a treatment.
- Faster Results – One of the biggest drawbacks of whitening your teeth at home is the amount of time it takes to see results, with no guarantee that the results will be perfect. Over-the-counter treatments frequently take several weeks to complete, whereas professional teeth whitening will only take a few visits to the dentist for perfectly white teeth.
Risks vs. Rewards
- Sensitivity After Whitening – One of the biggest drawbacks of teeth whitening is the possibility of teeth sensitivity after treatment. This can make things like drinking cold beverages or even just breathing through your mouth painful. A professional teeth whitening can minimize this risk by using the proper whitening agent and concentration, protecting your gums from agent spillover, and recommend a post-treatment plan designed to minimize discomfort.
- Mismatched Dental Work – Another potential risk of teeth whitening is that the whitening agent will not lighten the color of any existing dental implants you have. This can be particularly frustrating for at-home whitening, as it can make achieving an even color across your teeth nearly impossible. A common strategy to address this is to schedule a teeth whitening just before you plan to update your existing dental work. Once you have completed your whitening treatments, you can come back to have your crowns, fillings, or other dental implants lightened to match the rest of your enamel.
- Magnetic, Dazzling Smile – Having perfectly white and dazzling teeth can completely transform your smile. Having professionally whitened teeth can help you be more confident in your smile.
- Consistent, Even Coloring – Over time, our teeth naturally stain, with varying levels of staining across our teeth. A professional can help transform this to an even and shining white much more effectively than any over-the-counter product.
- Conveys Good Grooming Habits – Having a radiant smile can help you look your best. White, polished teeth convey a sense that you care about your appearance and take the time to take care of yourself.
In conclusion, teeth whitening treatments can be a great way to revitalize your smile. For the best teeth whitening experience in Murfreesboro, come see us at Sinquefield Family Dentistry. Beyond teeth whitening, we also offer comprehensive services and specialties including:
The team at Sinquefield is professional, compassionate, and experienced – call today to book your appointment!